I just received a question: how to redirect an affiliate link through your own website.
I do this with what is called a 301 redirect. It is very simple. Let’s say I want to create a link that looks like this:
I own the site
www.flamillion.com and the above link, when you click on it, will take you through to my affiliate link for Comment Kahuna. My naked affiliate link for this product is:
This is all I have to do:
1. Create a Text file in Notepad containing the following 4 lines of code and nothing else (obviously you would change the URL in there for your own affiliate link, but be sure to leave the quote marks where they are):
Header( "HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently" );
2. Then I save it, naming the file: index.php
3. In my FTP client, open up my site www.flamillion.com
4. If I haven’t done this before, create a folder in this site called: recommends
5. Within the folder called recommends, create a new folder called: pf-comment-tool
6. Upload the file index.php into that new folder.
So the file is now live on the internet. Its full path is
but since web browsers automatically pick up the index file in every folder, all you need to give out is the folder name,
Thanks for the question Gina!
Filed under: Affiliate Marketing